Tuesday 15 January 2013

Post #1: Introduction to CSC165

Hello world! (clichéd yes, but we are all programmers here)

I will be describing in this post my overall impression of CSC165 based on the first week of lectures, as well as how I plan to tackle the unique challenges presented by this course. 

From the very first week, I learned that I was actually excited about the content of CSC165. The topics presented (universal and existential quantifiers) seemed interesting and were highly relevant to my other studies. In MAT137 and MAT223, we constantly use the existential and universal quantifiers in writing proof statements, so I was extremely grateful that this topic was covered early on -- I now have a much clearer picture of the relationship between the universal and existential quantifiers, as well as their exact meanings. For example, I previously had no notion of the relationship between the two. Learning that they are anti-symmetric makes it easier to determine the conditions which render each true, or false. Since CSC165 will be going over proof methods, it will certainly be a big help in my other math courses!

But, the best part is -- the usefulness of CSC165 doesn't stop there. Reading an excerpt from Polya's "How to Solve It" also made me realize that the general approaches of problem solving aren't just limited to math and computer science questions; they can be applied to life itself. I'm certain that the skills and ideas learned in CSC165 will not only help me become a better problem solver, but a better person in the process. It's always useful to adopt different viewpoints in which to see the world. Developing a strong background in logic will also help one traverse the complexities of daily life. I'm hoping that by the end of the course, I will have learned a lot and been able to apply this knowledge to aspects of my life. 

Having said this, the journey won't be easy. In order to get what I want from the course, I will have to work really hard to ensure that I'm on top of things. Falling behind is definitely something that I'd want to avoid. I plan on developing a habit of reading lecture notes a few days before class so that I'm always one step ahead of the game. If I don't understand concepts, I will seek help from my instructor and TA. Hopefully, by employing these methods, I'll be able to become a better student and a better problem solver.

No comments:

Post a Comment